please help fix and recover

Dear friends,
my machine is usually stable but once every month or so I get an hard lockup.

This INVARIABLY happens while X is locked by a screensaver (I use them at random) which is a sort of wireframe coloured hypercube.

Wish I knew how to get rid of that ! :(

My reiserfs and ext3 journals replayed and all seemed ok BUT one thing did not work well.

As I want to share my email with the occasional reboot of my laptop I kept the email on a fat filesystem :( :(

Starting Thunderbird I got the choice of creating a new profile and to make it short I am not able to find where on the disk I kept addresses and local folders and possibly settings such as subcribed newsservers and SPAM training data and incoming email filters ....

What should I be looking for to find these things and possibly start using them again ?

Thank you very much,
Bob