usb printing stopped working

I have had a laser printer installed on a Debian server for some time
printing fine through the USB port using lprng.

One day it started failing so I took the printer off the server and plugged
it into a windows client and shared it from there.

Now I am trying to get the printer working back on the server.

I have plugged it back into the USB port and dmesg shows the printer as
being on /dev/usb/lp0 but when try and do a test print from webmin or echo
"\rhello\r\f" > /dev/usb/lp0 nothing happens.

I have also tried installing CUPS and setting it up that way. Sent the print
job from cups (web interface) and it says the print job completed but still
no printout.

Plug the plrinter back into a windows box and away it goes.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Peter King