Re: Annoying problem with GTK apps

Le vendredi 08 avril 2005 à 16:36 +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg a
écrit :
> In article <1112977422.10124.3.camel@localhost.localdomain>,
> Aurélien Campéas  <aurelien.campeas@uni.lu> wrote:
> >Le vendredi 08 avril 2005 à 18:12 +0200, Piero Piutti a écrit :
> >> Hi,
> >> I have recently moved to Debian Sarge from "another" distro and I like it a
> >> lot, besides a few problems that I'm trying to fix on the way.
> >>
> >> One of these is one related to GTK apps: every time I try to run one from the
> >> console as root
> >
> >you mean from xterm or gnome-terminal
> >
> >>  I receive the same error. For istance, if I try to run
> >> Synaptics this happens:
> >>
> >> adam:~# synaptic
> >>
> >> (synaptic:17058): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> >
> >this is a security feature ; to disable it, as "normal" user, type
> >"xhost +", then proceed as root
>
> It's a bad, bad idea to disable security features like these.

It depends. In the absolute, it is.

If you know a less insecure way to achieve the same effect, I'll take
it !
Aurélien.

Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.