Re: Debian vs. MEPIS/Knoppix/Ubuntu/other DEB distros

On Friday 08 April 2005 16:21, Odyssey wrote:
> Hey everyone -

>   I've been looking at the other Debian distros.  Is there more
> advantage of going with the pure Debian, or is it better to go
> with the tweaked distros, like Knoppix or Ubuntu?
>
>   I want the same advantages of MEPIS but less breaking of
> NVidia, and a couple other things that I had go wrong.  I think
> it happens because I went outside the MEPIS repository.  And
> trying to get an answer on the MEPIS forum is a bad experience
> (unfinished threads, etc).

Ed,

I've been using Kubuntu for a number of weeks now.
It's a great way of using the latest and greatest without having
to pay the price for installing/configuring/tweaking everything
yourself. And it uses Debian as a base system.
I use the latest kernel, x-windows, kde etc without problems.
They made a release today/yesterday, so it's stable.

They have live as well as install cd's so you can try out before
installing.

And they release TWICE a year, so you can be pretty much
assured of keeping up to date in a stable environment without
any hassle.

IMHU, it beats using pure Debian. I feel when you do that you
are paying the price for stuff you are probably not interested in, such
as many architectures besides your own.

Best,

John