Debian vs. MEPIS/Knoppix/Ubuntu/other DEB distros

Hey everyone -

  Just recently, I've made the switch from the RPM distros to the
DEB world.  I really like the premise of apt-get and Synaptic.
Installing programs has never been easier.

  When I made that jump, I ended up landing in Simply MEPIS 3.3.
I was blown away by the first impression.  Networking to other
Windows computers, my Epson PSC, and all the Firefox plug-ins
were already to go.  The OS has been great, except for the
frequent breaking of the NVidia kernels.  I have 3d for one week,
and then I don't for another two.

  I've been looking at the other Debian distros.  Is there more
advantage of going with the pure Debian, or is it better to go
with the tweaked distros, like Knoppix or Ubuntu?

  I want the same advantages of MEPIS but less breaking of
NVidia, and a couple other things that I had go wrong.  I think
it happens because I went outside the MEPIS repository.  And
trying to get an answer on the MEPIS forum is a bad experience
(unfinished threads, etc).

  Thanks!

--  Ed
Soon we'll stage an attack on technology worthy of being
chronicled in an anthem by Rush.