Re: firefox password manager

hacker wrote:
On Apr 8, 2005 2:14 AM, Philippe Marzouk <phil-antispam@ozigo.org> wrote:

This is a Microsoft extension which is now supported by most browsers.
The web designer just has to put autocomplete=off globally in the form
or in each field to disable caching of the information by the browser.

OK, it must be turned off at gmail and mail.yahoo.  I didn't realize
this. thanks

Since you specifically mentioned gmail and yahoo, I will provide a trick to save passwords even in those sites with firefox.

go to http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password

Drag the "remember password" bookmarklet to the bookmarks toolbar
Logout of your gmail's account
Go to gmail.google.com
Enter login, passwords, check in the box
Now click on the remember password bookmarklet
Say yes if firefox prompts you to save the password.
You can repeat this with mail.yahoo.com also.
Once you are done, the bookmarklet can be removed from the "bookmarks toolbar".

Warning:- By default firefox stores the passwords unencrypted. You can see the exact passwords by going to Edit -> preferences -> view saved passwords. If you are the only person using the computer, then it probably is fine. But if multiple persons use it, then I would sincerely advice against using the "saved passwords feature".

my 2 cents
raju