firefox password manager

I'm trying to use firefox (unstable) to manage my login password for
my gmail and yahoo mail accounts, but it doesn't seem to be doing
anything.  I've deleted my customizations (rm -fr ~/.mozilla/firefox)
and tried using the default options .. I've definitely got the
passwork saving selected .. I've created a master password .. I've
tried logging out and back in several times .. I've closed and
restarted firefox several times .. but, when I go to login again, no
username or password appear.  Also, in Preferences => Privacy => Saved
Passwords => View Saved Passwords is empty.

How is this supposed to work in debian?