Re: Enabling a memory stick under a 2.6 kernel

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 05:46:00PM +0100, Barrie Stott wrote:
| I run both 2.4.18 and 2.6.8-1-686 kernels. The memory stick is fine
| under 2.4 but not under 2.6.

My memory sticks and similar devices work just great (kernel 2.6.6 on
one machine, 2.6.10 on another)

| With 2.4, I can plug in the device and
| type the command `mount /mnt/sda1' to access it where, in /etc/fstab,
| I have the line:
| 	/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0
|
| Under 2.6 I get the error message:
| 	FAT: invalid media value (0xb9)
| 	VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda1
| 	mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
| 	or too many mounted file systems
| 	(aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
| 	instead of some logical partition inside?)

That indicates that sda1 is not the right device, or else your memory
stick is hosed.  Assuming you verified the unit on a different system,
then the hardware is fine.

| 2.4's lsmod lists several modules which are not in 2.6: ac97_codec,
| via-rhine, keybdev, input,

These aren't relevant to this problem.  ac97 is a sound card driver.
via-rhine is a network driver, and the other two pertain to keyboards
and input (usb-related, IIRC).

| usb-storage and usb-uhci. The last two
| appear to be most relevant and I had loaded usb-storage and uhci-hcd
| before getting the above message.

You also need to have 'sg' (scsi generic) and probably also 'sd' (scsi
disk) loaded.

Make sure you have hotplug installed; it greatly simplifies and
automates these scenarios.  The kernel will tell hotplug when it sees
new devices and when devices go away.  hotplug will then load any
modules that it sees as relevant.  I also recommend 'udev'.  With udev
you can set up rules so that your devices will always have consistent
and meaningful names.  For example, the following abbreviated lines
from my fstab:
    /dev/usb-stick-pny /media/usb-stick-pny auto  defaults,noauto,nodev,user,rw
    /dev/usb-stick-micro /media/usb-stick-micro auto  defaults,noauto,nodev,user,rw
    /dev/sd-reader /media/sd-reader  auto  defaults,noauto,nodev,user,rw
    /dev/cf-reader /media/cf-reader  auto  defaults,noauto,nodev,user,rw

This covers the two different memory sticks I have and the
CompactFlash and SD (SecureDigital) card readers.  It doesn't matter
which one I plug in first, because instead of sequential names like
'sda', 'sdb', and so on they are given the symbolic names you see in
my fstab.

HTH,
-D

--
He who belongs to God hears what God says.  The reason you do not hear
is that you do not belong to God.