Enabling a memory stick under a 2.6 kernel

I run both 2.4.18 and 2.6.8-1-686 kernels. The memory stick is fine
under 2.4 but not under 2.6. With 2.4, I can plug in the device and
type the command `mount /mnt/sda1' to access it where, in /etc/fstab,
I have the line:
	/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0

Under 2.6 I get the error message:
	FAT: invalid media value (0xb9)
	VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda1
	mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
	or too many mounted file systems
	(aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
	instead of some logical partition inside?)

2.4's lsmod lists several modules which are not in 2.6: ac97_codec,
via-rhine, keybdev, input, usb-storage and usb-uhci. The last two
appear to be most relevant and I had loaded usb-storage and uhci-hcd
before getting the above message.

I'm stuck and help would be greatly appreciated.

Barrie.