Re: keyboard: unknown scancode

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005, Dale Anderson wrote:

> What might be a solution to when I press F1 or F2 getting the
> kernel-prints "keyboard: unknown scancode" (followed by
> two hexadecimals representing the code).  None of the
> function keys seem to be working, limiting me to one
> virtual console.  I don't use X11, only console on it.
>
> I didn't have this problem after installation; so I know it can
> work on this machine properly.  The problem manifested
> itself several weeks later after a reboot during which I had
> screwed with a bunch of stuff trying to "internationalize" it
> for my french class.
>
> The system is a first generation iBook running debian/testing.
> Kernel version is 2.4.27.
[ . . . ]

You could try logging in as a new user.  That would allow you to determine
if XFree86 is screwing up or if it is something particular to your usual
account.

My best bet is that you'll need to use 'setxkbdmap' tool to help diagnose
the problem (setxkbdmap lets you manipulate the X keyboard map without
restarting the X server).  Once you know the correct keyboard map you
can always invoke setxkbdmap at your session startup if you can't locate
the software that's screwing it up in the first place.

If it's only the F-keys that are borked you might want to make sure that
some modifier key isn't jammed (don't the Apple FKeys do double duty as
volume/brightness/etc control when used along with some other key?)  If the
keyboard handles the modifier in hardware it could generate strange
keycodes.

-- Brad

--
Brad Sawatzky <brads@jlab.org>  -<>-  Jefferson Lab / Temple University
         Phone: (757) 269-5947  -<>-  Pager: (757) 584-5493