Freetype with the patented hinter in sarge

Hi!

I'd like to use the patented hinter code with freetype. AFAIK the
software patents don't affect me in SA. In the past I think the freetype
package did use the patented hinter. After a recent sarge update the
quality of my fonts definitely changed for the worse.

I guess I need to compile it from source to do this. How do I go about
compiling freetype with the patented hinter to a debian package? I have
extracted source from the .orig.gz package, and applied the debian patch
file. However, the debian build seems to extract and patch the source
again, so I can't figure out how to change the freetype source and keep
my changes in the resulting .deb.

Hints appreciated :)

Thanks
Neilen