Re: /.dev

On Apr 7, 2005 1:47 PM, Serkan Calis <adresimeyaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all my sound card is properly configured and i can easily get
> sound from the machine. ie using xmms.
>
> But for some other tools sound dont work and i realize that that is
> because i dont have a /dev/dsp directory. Instead i have /.dev/dsp.
>  I dont know why this is so, because of udev? is it exactly true?
>
> Now i create a symlink for /.dev/dsp to /dev  but firstly this is
> worked but after machine rebooted my symlink vanishes?
>
> Now is there any detailed explanation why this is so?

You are probably using alsa and not OSS. This is usually the reason
/dev/dsp is not there, though in that case I wouldn't expect a symlink
to actually work. On a new installation it's highly likely you are
using alsa drivers. (if all sound drivers listed with lsmod have a
"snd-" prefix you are) If you want OSS emulation you should load the
module for it. (snd-pcm I think)

greets,
Wim