Re: RAID1 on sarge fail on boot, work manually postboot.

On (06/04/05 18:09), Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya
>
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Clive Menzies wrote:
>
> > I'm not the OP, however, I've had a similar problem and /dev/md0
> > certainly does exist because if you try to recreate it with
> > mdadm --create  a warning says that the devices are already part of an
> > array.
>
> if it thinks its already created byt you cannot fsck it or mount it,
> than stop/disassemble the raid and start over

> come to think of it .. mdrun/mdstop etc is part of the old
> raidtool/raidtools2 commands ... mdadm is newer set of tools
> and if you mix and match commands.. you'd probably confuse it
As I said I'm not the OP who used mdrun/mdstop; I'm using mdadm - I'm
sure you're right about the potential for confusion.

> commands to build raid .. and other debugging gotchas
> 	http://1u-raid5.net/HowTo/mdadm.txt
>
> 	raid is working when you can boot, hands off, after removing
> 	any and all of the disks one at a time .. and that the
> 	data resync's automatically if you wrote data to the degraded
> 	array
>
> > When running e2fsck it complains of a bad superblock and suggests:
> > e2fsck -b 8193   but it barfs on that too.
>
> those are either real or bogus error messages that reflects other
> problems
>
> > I've not tried it but I suspect if you run fsck once it's reassembled,
> > it will be fine.  I think the issue is that the ide driver modules
> > aren't loaded when raid starts ...  but I'm new to all this and may be
> > way off track ;)
>
> if you want the raid stuff... and if one was silly enough to use
> ide as modules ... than the system should be smart enough to load
> all the dependencies for the raid ... assuming that you ahve
> an initrd for building the raid
Things have moved on in that I think I've been talking b*ll*x;  I tried
installing the 2.4.27 kernel (with initrd) and raid started with 1
device.  I then added the second drive with mdadm --add and the disks
synced fine and when I rebooted using the 2.6.8-2-386 kernel it came up
fine - no problem.

So I'm happy that it's now working but not sure why I was having
problems to the extent that I thought I had a dodgy hard drive.  I
suspect that raid doesn't like being interrupted for a reboot when it's
still syncing the two devices.

Anyway, it's back up now running 2.6.8-2-686 without a hitch after
several reboots.

So thanks for the input ;)

> whenver you use modprobe  something, it will automatically load
> all its dependencies, other things "something" wants to have loaded too

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...