Re: RAID1 on sarge fail on boot, work manually postboot.

On (06/04/05 21:25), Christine600 wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a debian newbie with a troublesome RAID1.
>
> When I boot the process halts and I have to press Ctrl+D to continue.
> This is because fschk complains when checing /dev/md0 aka my RAID1.
>
> fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem
> (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and
> you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> ...so I Ctrl+D and the system boots up. If I then login as root and
>
> mdrun
> mount /dev/md0
>
> ...then everything works fine.
>
> The RAID1 was created on a Mandrake10, and the disks moved over when I
> read about debian and apt-get. :-)
>
> I have done apt update/ugrade.
> I have read http://www.justenoughlinux.com/2004/03/28/fixing_a_busted_raid.html
> I have read http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-hppa@lists.debian.org/msg04228.html
There have been a few posts on this in the last few days and
coincidentally, I'm having a problem installing raid1 on a new server
install.  I'm assuming you're using ide/ata drives rather than
scsi/sata.  From my limited knowledge, trial and error, and reading posts
over the last few days, I am warming to the view that this is a kernel
issue.

The ide drivers are loaded as modules rather than compiled into the
kernel and raid is trying to start before all the necessary elements are
in place (I think).  The solution would be to compile everything into
the kernel - at least that's what I will try next.

HTH

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...