Re: DHCP/nfsroot not working

On 6 Apr 2005, Urs Thuermann wrote:

> I have an ebedded system (called coll road runner nad made by the
> german company Lippert) which I want to boot with DHCP and nfsroot.
>
> It has grub installed on its MBR on the hard disk and grub starts
> correctly and shows the menu defined in (hd0,0):/boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> I have define one entry for nfsroot which is
>
>     title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.27-ut (nfsroot)
>     root            (hd0,0)
>     kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-ut root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/tftpboot/crr ip=bootp rw s
>     boot
>     savedefault
>
> The kernel is loaded by grub, boots, brings up the eth0 interface and
> sends DHCP requests.  The DHCP server replies correctly (checked with
> tcpdump) but the client seems not to see these replies.  It continues
> sending DHCP requests until it times out.
>
> When I change the kernel command line to contain the complete IP
> configuration instead of using DHCP, i.e. when I replace
>
>     ip=bootp
>
> by
>
>     ip=192.168.84.21:192.168.84.1:192.168.84.1:255.255.255.0:crr:eth0

since it works with static ip# specified, it'd point my
finger at the dhcp server

- does dhcp.conf have "allow bootp" and "allow booting"

- i assume the dhcpd.conf file also has its mac addy listed in the
  list of servers the dhcp server is trying to boot

- more pxe boot stuff
	http://linux-boot.net/Boot/Network/

c ya
alvin