Re: NVidia Geforce2 MX 400 in woody, help plz

Hello

Alban Browaeys (<browaeys.alban@wanadoo.fr>) wrote:
> Le Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:01:34 -0300, du linux a écrit :
>
>> Hi, I just have installed woody and tried to configure my X
>> server...but doesnt matter what config. I put there...XFree always
>> send me the same error... "Screen found, but none have a usuable
>> configuration" and I'm stuck!!
>>
> Well use sarge ! woody have xserver 4.1 which is old (where new at
> those times) and will never have a newer release ...
>
> this error means that your video driver does not load.
> And loose your time trying to not use the framebuffer or such tips :
> they are for the proprietary driver from nvidia which you obviously
> are not using as it won't work on woody xserver (too old)...

No. The framebuffer issue also applies to the open source nv driver,
which by the way in XFree 4.1 perfectly supports Geforce 2 and Geforce
3 cards.

> The free nvidia driver shipped with debian work perfectly with
> framebuffer.

Not for me, not for many other people, at least not in combination with
the nv driver. Check the archive of this mailing list, you will find
several examples of this problem.

> I you want a quick fix (work on woody too) change the video card
> driver from nv to vesa. This works on all card but you would not be
> able to view dvd, use 3d games and such (too slow).

Why should he select the unaccelerated VESA driver if his version of
XFree has a driver that was specially writen for his card, and has
several advantages, even it it doesn't support hardward 3D?

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976