starting x in chroot causes crash

hi folks,

Following directions in
http://www.underhanded.org/papers/debian-conversion/remotedeb.html
and in the debian reference manual, I have set up a chroot partition
on my workstation (the intention is to use this chroot disk as stage
one of converting another machine from red hat to debian -- but that's
a longer story).

The chroot itself seems to run fine in console mode, but when I
attempt to run x from a chroot console (or xterm) using either
startx -- :2 (I have two sessions running on my main partition)
or
gdm -- :2
my system crashes -- not just the xserver, but the system as a whole;
a reboot is initiated.  I've looked in the log and don't see anything
much as yet.  part of the problem may be that I have an nvidia video
card that doesn't play very well with the nv x drivers -- in fact, on
reflection it seems to me I had a similar problem (X not atarting,
sometimes crashing) when I first set up my system long long ago.

... so the obvious solution would bne to switch over to the nvidia
drivers.  So I tried this:  locate the old .deb packages I compiled
long ago for my aging 2.4.23 kernel; copy them to my chroot
installation; switch ot chroot; install them with dpkg -i nvidia*deb;
run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86; then

startx -- :2

again.

I get this in my xfree86 log:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***

... which suggests to me that there's something wrong with my method
of installing nvidia modules.  or something.

so what do folks htink is up?

thanks much,
matt

 .''`.       Matt Price