Re: If I track testing, what happens when testing becomes stable?

On Monday 04 April 2005 13:44, andy@besy.co.uk wrote:
> So I am thinking of changing my system to track testing instead of
> stable. But before I do so, I wanted to check how it will work when the
> current testing becomes stable.
>
> When this happens, should I change my apt sources back to point to
> stable? And then apt-get update as usual?

Basically, "stable", "testing", and "unstable" are like policies: if you
choose a particular one, then your system will keep updating, but in a
particular fashion according to the policy.  What the individual policies
are, you probably already know.

On the other hand, "woody", and "sarge" are releases: if you know that release
does what you need for the foreseeable future, you can stick with that, and
not worry about upgrades etc., except for patches.

If you want a modern-ish, up-to-date system that's always going to have net
access for frequent upgrades and doesn't take a lot of maintenance, you
probably want "testing".  But backports are another option you might want to
consider.

--
Lee.