Re: Debian sarge base + xfce4 desktop

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:18:23PM -0800, rds wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have installed Debian sarge base and would like to install xfce4 desktop. I'm
> wondering what other packages I would need to install besides xfce4 to get it
> working: Is it x-window-system or x-window-system-core or xserver-xfree86
> and/or something else?

Hello
I install a base system then do:

apt-cache search xfce4 | cut -d" " -f1 | less

This gives you a list of what is available.
Pick what you need from this list and install it,
or to grab all of it in one shot:

apt-get install `apt-cache search xfce4 | cut -d" " -f1`

apt will install the xserver as a dependency, have a close look
at the list of packages it wants to install to make sure your not
getting stuff that you dont want, and also check out the suggested
and reccomended packages, like gdm for example if youd like a
graphical login.

Dont forget also you can use the gtk2 themes with xfce4 so apt-cache
search for them and perhaps search for and install true-type fonts
which for me, look very nice with xfce4.

You might want to try the newer version of Xfce4 from:

http://www.os-works.com/view/debian/

Ive used it with no problems on my laptop, but use
the official debian version on my desktop.

--
Angelina Carlton