Automatic Revision Control.

I've been googling around looking for a good solution for this, before I
begin to code one myself.

Here is the scenario:  Smallish company, using a NAS server, mounted via
normal SMB shares.  We have a smallish number of SUPER important files
that are becoming corrupted now and again.  These files are spread out
over various files and directories, rather hither and dither.

What I want to do is basically check the list of files on a regular
basis, if the file checked is different then the one I already know
about, grab a copy of it and save it someplace, preserving a history of
revisions.

Of course I would like to have an easy way for users to check the
history of the object and roll back in time... add new objects etc.

Right now I'm considering doing this with some shell scripts, PHP,
MySQL, Apache and such...  But does anyone know of a project that may
save me some time?

And let me stress the fact that this has to basically be automatic and
invisible to the user, asking them to check in and out is not an option.

Eric G. van der Paardt
Systems Administrator
715-485.9312x3198
Bishop Fixture & Millwork