Re: kernel 2.6 problems (1): "No module symbols loaded"

Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:53:24AM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
/var/log/messages:

Mar 28 17:13:16 matts-mac kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled.

I've looked in my config and there are CLEARLY modules configured in
the kernel; moreover, kernel loading and unloading is also
configured.  so any explanation of what else might generate this
error?

I don't remember exactly when I started getting that line,
and I don't know where it's coming from, but it's nothing
to worry about - kernel module loading/unloading is working
fine even with that message.

ahh. well, I guess it's good to know that. but on the other hand I was hoping this ould help me diagnose the problem!

What's the exact problem you're having with SCSI and USB?
I'm sorry if I have overlooked something from you during the
last days... did you already elaborate on it? :)

not on this list- - I mentioned it on debian-powerpc, but no one seems to know what the problem is. There seeem to be two kinds of problems:

1) scsi: I boot from, and have my root filesystem on, a scsi disk. THis means that scsi support has to be compiled into the main kernel, and since most of the stock kernels have scsi disk support as a module, I can't use them. With 2.4.x, I have working .config's that take care of the problem. With 2.6.x, it's trickier. The kernel seems to load properly, and scsi recognizes my scsi card and maybe the disks, but then stops with an error "/dev/sda7 is not a valid ext3 filesystem" -- and then dumps me into single-user mode to diagnose the problem with fsck. However, I can't go any further from there because,

2) usb: none of my usb peripherals are recognized by the kernel -- despite the fact that I have the HID module enabled. Since I have a mac, the usb connection is the only way for me to enter anything into the computer, so I end up stalled, and have to do a hard reboot. There are no error messages to this effect in /var/log/messages -- so I'm not sure what's up.

Any clues? can I provide you with more details? a (broken) .config file is on the web at:

http://www.derailleur.org/.configfiles/

... but it's just one of many... rightn ow I'm trying to compile kernels with a minimal feature set, in an effort to find out what I need to get past this problem -- and then add features later. So I've used quite a number of configurations...

anyway, if you have any advice I'd love to hear it.  thanks,

matt

Regards,

Jan