Re: Debian way of integrating out of tree drivers

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 19:39 +0200, Bob Alexander wrote:
> This morning I tried using my atheros wifi (madwifi driver) and it did
> not work.
>
> I almost instantly realized that it was the first time I attemted using
> wifi after installing my 2.6.11.4 kernel.
>
> I therefore jumped into the madwifi directory and did a make/make
> install and corrected the "problem".
>
> Is there a way to "automatize" the adding of the madwifi drivers each
> time I compile a new kernel ?
>
> This is the way I compile kernels under Debian:
>
> export SUBV=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)
> #make menuconfig
> cat .config | gzip > /home/bob/t40.config.$SUBV.txt.gz
> fakeroot make-kpkg clean
> time fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=t40.$SUBV kernel_image modules_image
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
make yourself part of the group 'src' and do these steps as yourself.

> kernels live under /usr/src each in their own directory (e.g.
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4) and madwifi is /usr/src/madwifi

$ man make-kpkg

<snip>
--added_modules foo
The  argument  should  be  a comma separated list of additional add-on
modules (not in the main kernel tree) that you wish to build when  you
invoke  the  modules_blah targets. You may give full path names of the
directory the modules reside in, or just the module name if it can  be
found  in MODULE_LOC, which defaults to /usr/src/modules.  The default
is that all modules in MODULE_LOC, are compiled when the  modules_blah
targets are invoked.
</snip>

so i would say
$ mv /usr/src/madwifi /usr/src/modules/