Debian way of integrating out of tree drivers

This morning I tried using my atheros wifi (madwifi driver) and it did not work.

I almost instantly realized that it was the first time I attemted using wifi after installing my 2.6.11.4 kernel.

I therefore jumped into the madwifi directory and did a make/make install and corrected the "problem".

Is there a way to "automatize" the adding of the madwifi drivers each time I compile a new kernel ?

This is the way I compile kernels under Debian:

export SUBV=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)
#make menuconfig
cat .config | gzip > /home/bob/t40.config.$SUBV.txt.gz
fakeroot make-kpkg clean
time fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=t40.$SUBV kernel_image modules_image

kernels live under /usr/src each in their own directory (e.g. /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4) and madwifi is /usr/src/madwifi

Is there some obvious flaw with my approach ?

TIA
Bob