Re: Debian and NTFS...

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Charles Read wrote:

> Any assistance is of course much appreciated!!

I agree with Bob Alexander that using something like Knoppix is a good
idea.  I can tell you Knoppix definitely supports NTFS (read only).

The best way to save the data is to use dd to capture an image of the
partition that houses the NTFS filesystem.

You can then mount the image loop back to get access to the files and can
lay the filesystem on another drive later (as long as the drive is
larger).  You can then resize the NTFS filesystem once it is on a new
drive.  MS-Windows takes to being dumped on a new machine far worse than
Linux does of course.

Having an image of the filesystem is also useful if files are damaged as
you can take a copy image and attempt any number of file recovery
techniques without fear of damaging the master copy.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.