intrusion via ssh

Hi,

i just checked my mail log on my server (that runs sarge with postfix)
and got this kind of lines:

MAR 30 20:01:33 servername sshd[17890] illegal user john from 24.15.134.130

I have about 500 attemps with different usernames and the same IP so i
guess it is a robot which is trying to enter my system.

the pb with such log is that it does not say if the user has succeeded
to enter the machine or if the attempt has failed.

any config advice or tutorial are welcome.

Thank in advance for your help.

Frederic Guillet