Re: VMware on Debian

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 10:20 pm, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Quoting Pollywog <linux-debian@shadypond.com>:
> > Is VMware able to handle kernels that have version names like 2.6.10-v1 ?
> >  It
> >
> > appears as though it can only handle names like 2.6.10.
> >
> > Every time I reboot, I need to reconfigure vmware, has anyone else had
> > this
> >
> > problem in Debian?  I would ask VMware support about this, but Debian is
> > not
> >
> > a supported distribution for VMware.
> >
> > thanks
>
> You may want to try asking them anyway.  The two or three support people I
> have talked to at VMWare run Debian for development machines and have quite
> a bit of experience with it.  The just don't "support" it because its not
> commercial.

They did assist me but could not help much, due to lack of Debian knowledge,
but I got help here and got it installed.  They are helping me now that it is
installed and they know how to proceed to get networking and sound working.
I can connect to my network with "Network Neighborhood" in Windows98 but not
to the Internet and I am unable to get a sound driver that will actually
work.  I am thinking I should buy a Win2000 CD because the drivers that are
included for the VM work with that OS.  I am having difficulty finding the
correct driver for Win98 SE.  I got one that is meant for Win98SE but it is
an executable file and I am unable to install from that, I need an "inf"
file.  Perhaps when the VMware support people get back tomorrow, they will be
able to help, but they told me that if I do get Win2000, I will have a much
easier time with this stuff.  I don't want to try XP because it would place
demands on my system that it can't handle.

8)

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com