Re: SCSI, ATAPI and burners

Le Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:29:46 +0800, Arne Götje) a écrit :

> On Tuesday 29 March 2005 21:11, Jim Hall wrote:
>> In Sarge, all of the installed burner packages are having problems.
>> Some of the docs say I should define the burner as a SCSI device
>> because ATAPI is a form of SCSI.
>
> I'm having a SCSI burner and the 2.6 kernel together with cdrecord is
> *broken* for quite some time now. It is impossible for me to burn even
> one cd. It always gives me IO errors and aborts the burning process
> immediatly. This is not only on one machine, but on all machines where
> I have SCSI burners.
>
> There are already bug reports in the BTS for this topic. Does anyone
> know a solution except downgrading to woody or buying ATAPI burners?

Sending report to the kernel . The debian cdrecord maintainer cannot help
fix the kernel scsi layer.
I am pretty confident as you have problems with scsi only cdrecorder you
will raise attention.

I am somewhat surprised as most bugs in the BTS are about using ATAPI
device via scsi emaulation which was broken in the kernel on purpose
(well to fix both scsi and ide layer and avoid matinaing two big chunk of
code, well four now that SATA and PATA over SATA are there)
The breaking the ATAPI over SCSI was pretty second rank. But scsi
cdrecorder broken is what i call bad !

You can also try the linux ide mailing list, as part of the "transport"
layer is common they may help and provide patches.

Regards
Alban

PS: please if you can give feedback in the BTS too.