Re: AIX and Debian packages

According to Richard A Nelson,
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Tony Godshall wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone know of a Debian (unstable preferable) package repository
> > > for AIX (5.2) ? Google hasn't (yet) turned up anything promising...
> >
> > You may want to indicate more clearly what you want to do.
> >
> > Are you intending to run debian binary packages on AIX?  If
> > so, you are probably out of luck.
>
> Yes, I'm looking to setup, or get access to Debian packages
> that run on AIX.
>
> > Unless you'd like to switch from AIX to Linux.  Check out the
> > Installation Manual at www.debian.org.
>
> Not an option, unfortunately...  I need to keep AIX on this box,
> and the native compiler, I just don't want to have to live with
> the dearth of its userland.
>
> I've seen a few posts that imply some folks have been in the
> same boat - and was hoping to save the early effort of
> cross-compiling the toolset.
>
> > Are you trying to get source code?  If so, you can get
> > source code through http://packages.debian.org.  I think
> > you'll find that the requirements for a package being
> > accepted to Debian make for some of the most portable code
> > around... after all, packages have to be autobuilt on n
> > architectures.
>
> Yeah, that is hopefully my fallback position... 'tis a shame
> that I can find RPMs that are installable on AIX - but not,
> as of yet, dpkg and the core utilities.

Well, http://www.debian.org/ports/ shows Debian on three
kernels other other than Linux in development (tho not AIX)...
perhaps you should read their lists on their experiences.
I guess once you've ported enough of the infrastructure the
Debian environment could run on an AIX kernel.  Why not
register a debian-aix project at sf.net and see who else you
attract.  There are likely others in your situation.