Re: AIX and Debian packages

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Tony Godshall wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a Debian (unstable preferable) package repository
> > for AIX (5.2) ? Google hasn't (yet) turned up anything promising...
>
> You may want to indicate more clearly what you want to do.
>
> Are you intending to run debian binary packages on AIX?  If
> so, you are probably out of luck.

Yes, I'm looking to setup, or get access to Debian packages
that run on AIX.

> Unless you'd like to switch from AIX to Linux.  Check out the
> Installation Manual at www.debian.org.

Not an option, unfortunately...  I need to keep AIX on this box,
and the native compiler, I just don't want to have to live with
the dearth of its userland.

I've seen a few posts that imply some folks have been in the
same boat - and was hoping to save the early effort of
cross-compiling the toolset.

> Are you trying to get source code?  If so, you can get
> source code through http://packages.debian.org.  I think
> you'll find that the requirements for a package being
> accepted to Debian make for some of the most portable code
> around... after all, packages have to be autobuilt on n
> architectures.

Yeah, that is hopefully my fallback position... 'tis a shame
that I can find RPMs that are installable on AIX - but not,
as of yet, dpkg and the core utilities.

--
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon