RE: stupid question

If U want the kernel form debian, then apt-cache search kernel-source | grep x.x (x.x is the number of kernel), when U are found the latest kernel U want, then reconfigure, rebuild the kernel...U can get aslo the newest kernel form http://www.kernel.org!!!

uncompress the new kernel in /usr/src, then follow tje steps:
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-U-downloaded /usr/src/linux
cd linux
edit the Makefile line EXTRAVESION = xxxx (something U want)
make clean
make mrproper
make config (xconfig, menu config, oldconfig)
reconfigure the kernel
make clean
*make bzImage
*make modules & make modules_install (if U use modules)
cp /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/
cp System.map /boot
cp .conf /boot/configure-kernel-xxx
edit lilo
lilo
restart - and use the new kernel

* - U can do it in Debian way, see the KERNEL-HOWTO
P.S. U must have the needed packages, see the KERNEL-HOWTO