RE: stupid question

Quoting Armands Upmalis <mole@one.lv>:

> If U want the kernel form debian, then apt-cache search kernel-source | grep
> x.x (x.x is the number of kernel), when U are found the latest kernel U want,
> then reconfigure, rebuild the kernel...U can get aslo the newest kernel form
> http://www.kernel.org!!!
>
> uncompress the new kernel in /usr/src, then follow tje steps:
> ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-U-downloaded /usr/src/linux
> cd linux
> edit the Makefile line EXTRAVESION = xxxx (something U want)
> make clean
> make mrproper
> make config (xconfig, menu config, oldconfig)
> reconfigure the kernel
> make clean
> *make bzImage
> *make modules & make modules_install (if U use modules)
> cp /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/
> cp System.map /boot
> cp .conf /boot/configure-kernel-xxx
> edit lilo
> lilo
> restart - and use the new kernel
>
> * - U can do it in Debian way, see the KERNEL-HOWTO
> P.S. U must have the needed packages, see the KERNEL-HOWTO

Just out of curiosity, why do people still build kernels this way on Debian?
I know that I have asked this before, but I have not been able to figure out
why someone would use this error-prone tecnique?  There is a perfectly good
way (via kernel-package) to take any kernel source and produce a nice Debian
package that you can then install and have the system keep track of for you.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr