Re: apt-get problems.

On Sunday 27 March 2005 20:20, Seeker5528 wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:29:24 -0500
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> rpms don't seem to make that all that easy.  Apt-get doesn't seem
>> to recognize that the final install of program x was made by the
>> latest version of checkinstall, primarily because one has to
>> prepare the so-called spec file's dependency list in way more
>> detail than I have at my fingertips.  And of course checkinstall
>> doesn't call it that either, further confusing the issue.
>
>Checkinstall let's you supply name and version information.
>
>In most cases you should be able to supply a name and version that
> fits the Debian scheme for the particular package. For cases where
> where this may not work, equivs gives you some extra options.
>
>Later, Seeker

Which, for some unk reason, doesn't seem to apply to the rpm versions.
I used it to install cups-1.1.21, and apt-get seems to be adament in
wanting to overwrite it with the 'newer' 1.1.19, which does something
to kill kde when you just hover the mouse over anything kprint
related in the menu's.

I've no idea what that was, only that as of cups-1.1.21 and up, its no
longer a problem.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)