Re: Init 3 problems

On Monday 28 March 2005 08:11 am, Gallagher Timothy-TIMOTHYG wrote:
> I want to install the NVIDIA driver but I am unable to do an init 3
> command from the KDE consol.  I am new to Debian, I want to learn a
> better Linux distro.  If I want to go into a command consol without
> X running, how do I do this.

What the init runlevels should be up to the end-user, not the
distribution.  Debian understands this.  Runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5 are
the same by default in Debian.  If you want runlevel 3 to not have X,
rename /etc/rc3.d/S99kdm to /etc/rc3.d/K99kdm.  If you're not using
kdm, replace kdm with whatever DM you use.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca