Re: Init 3 problems

--- Gallagher Timothy-TIMOTHYG <TIMOTHYG@motorola.com> wrote:
> distro.  If I want to go into a command consol without X running, how do
> do this.

Some things you need to understand:

*  Debian's default runlevel is 2
*  Unlike RH and other distros Runlevels 2 -> 5 are exactly the same, and
assuming X11 is installed, Debian will start XDM (or whatever display
manager you might use) in all of them.

If you want to disable the DM, you can do:

echo false >> /etc/X11/default-display-manager

That will stop the display manager from loading.  To undo that, just edit
/etc/X11/default-display-manager, and remove the line that says "false".

-- Thomas Adam

"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"