Re: Init 3 problems

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Gallagher Timothy-TIMOTHYG wrote:

> I want to install the NVIDIA driver but I am unable to do an init 3 command
> from the KDE consol.  I am new to Debian, I want to learn a better Linux
> distro.  If I want to go into a command consol without X running, how do I
> do this.

		normal		debian
reboot		0		0
single-user	1		(default)	1 = singleuser,nothingelse
blank		2		-
console		3		(default)	3 = virt consoles+network
blank		4		-
X11		5		(default)	5 = X11
reboot		6		-

and it's a lot of (fun) work to create your own init runlevel
with the proper daemons running at each level

if you wanted to "kill x11" in debian, you have to modify a
file ( i forgot which one, nor am i gonna go look it up :-)

i've changed my deb box so it sorta follows "init" conventions ..
	- i want single user to be single user, nothing more/less
	- i want console to be consoles, no x11 ...
	- if i want the kitchen sink, ... oh well ..

c ya
alvin