Re: Hard Lockups can't happen (can they?)

On Monday 28 March 2005 19:06, Justin Guerin wrote:

> It's very possible that Konq. is accessing hardware through a buggy driver.
> That would cause a system crash.  Otherwise, if all the processes are
> userspace, I can't see how it would crash the kernel.

Actually, I found the answer and its really strange.

My home directory is a reiserfs filesystem.  It had a corruption
in .kde/cache-kanger/http directory (where kanger is my machine name)

I think some attempt to access into this filesystem caused the system to crash
immediately.  In the end the only way out was to run

fsck.reiserfs --rebuild-tree

on it.

--
Alan Chandler