Re: Hard Lockups can't happen (can they?)

On Monday 28 March 2005 06:14, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Sunday 27 March 2005 19:20, Doug wrote:
> > if nothing shows up from the hardware at that point, I'd maybe move
> > over to software.  try: $dpkg-reconfigure konqueror
> > or remove konqueror entirely and reinstall
> > Either of those options might fix/rewrite a corrupted config file.  or
> > it's possible that upgrading konqueror, as opposed to installing from
> > scratch causes errors.  (maybe leaves old files lying around which
> > cause errors)
>
> I have just spent hours carefully downgrading myself to kde 3.3.2, only
> to find the konqueror still crashes the system.  I think it must be
> someother problem relaed to how konqueror is driving the system.

Since your problem appears to be software related, you should use strace,
running konqueror from the command line.  That may give you some hints what
Konq. is doing that is bringing down your system.

It's very possible that Konq. is accessing hardware through a buggy driver.
That would cause a system crash.  Otherwise, if all the processes are
userspace, I can't see how it would crash the kernel.

Justin Guerin