Re: Kernel Panic - Unable to mount root

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:09:23 -0500, paul tsai wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In my recent urge to go back to debian I've encountered errors that
> I've never seen before on my earlier installs.  Previously I've used a
> 2.6.8 kernel and luckily that was available in sarge. so I used that
> config and did a
>
> make-kpkg --initrd -rev 1 kernel_image
>
> and then installed the deb.  Upon reboot I received a :
>
> Kernel Panic:VFS:Unable to mount root

AFAIK and experienced myself, this message appears when the kernel can
read from the root filesystem due a missing file-system driver. Do you
pass the initrd line in GRUB ?
Also look if your root filesystem (ext3 etc..) is either compiled in
or compiled as module (AFAIK this requires initrd)

Best regards,
Hannes.