DVD issue

hey all,

I'm running into an extremely weird issue with my dvd/cdrw drive on a
Toshiba M35 laptop.  btw I'm running Sarge 2.6.8 custom kernel.
Whenever I pop in a dvd it issues this error on the terminal console

hdc: packet command error: error=0x51
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hdc: packet command error: error=0x51
and this repeats

now I'm thinking bad.  However, I'm still able to use ogle to play dvd's?

Now I killed gnome and you know what the messages stopped.  What could
be causing this and how do I stop it?

--
Paul

Email - paultsai@gmail.com

"And i think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think i am at home"
Rocket Man - Bernie Taupin