SSL client certificate with mutt?

Hello!

I have got an account on an imap server I can only connect to with a
client certificate.  I have got this certificate, a file with a .p12
ending, and I can successfully connect to that server with Mozilla
Thunderbird and KMail after I have imported the certificate. But I
normally use mutt to read my mails, and  the debian (unstable) version
of mutt seems unable to use this client certificate.

First thing I tried: The ssl_client_cert variable in muttrc, but mutt
says it doesn't know this variable. I found out that the debian mutt
has been compiled with gnutls instead of openssl and doesn't seem to
offer a way for using client certificates, does it?

I already downloaded the mutt package sources and built a new mutt
package using "--with-ssl" instead of "--with-gnutls". This mutt
accepts the ssl_client_cert command in muttrc but fails with this
error when opening the connection:

SSL failed: error:14094410:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert
handshake failure

Is there anything I can try to use this account with mutt, too?

Regards,
Jim