made rpm package, broke dpkg

I made an rpm of dpkg for another system and an unexpected thing happened.
Checkinstall actually installed the rpm package I made and now when I use dpkg
I get:

dpkg: failed to open package info file `/usr/lib/db/status' for reading: No
such file or directory

I will probably need to reinstall Debian, but is there a way around that?
I should have known this would happen, but I guess I did not think enough
before trying to make the rpm (it was for another system, not this one).

8)

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com