Re: How does Athlon 64 compare under linux to Pentiums

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 04:18:10AM -0800, Steven Anderson wrote:
> I was under the impression that the AMD-64 was able to
> run both 32bit and 64bit code?

It can.

> I was about to buy one of these 64bit chips when I
> noticed this thread indicating that crossover wouldnt
> run on the 64bit chip!

If you want to run an application in 64-bit mode, the application must
be recompiled for the 64-bit architecture. Not all applications have
been recompiled, and some also have bugs when recompiled for 64-bit
mode.

32-bit applications can still be run, but it's necessary to have all
the appropriate 32-bit support libraries that the application needs,
and that your dynamic loader must be able to properly find them when
the application loads.

> Can someone clarify this and tell us why 32 bit code
> such as crossover office wouldnt work?

I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA