Re: Need to monitor HTTP traffic

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 01:23:34AM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>On Wednesday 23 March 2005 05:57 pm, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>> I've been working on a problem for several days, and need to create a
>> shortcut.  I've found a program called Ettercap, which lets me monitor
>> network connections, but I can't find a way to monitor HTTP connections
>> from my browser to a web site, which is what I really need to do.  (Unless
>> I missed something, which is possible after several days with almost no
>> sleep...)
>>
>> Is there a program that I can run on my system that can monitor traffic on
>> a port, including listing it?  I need to see the headers on HTTP requests
>> and responses to see what goes between my browser and the web site.
>>
>> I don't mean just telling me that packets are going out, or what their
>> destination is.  I also need to see the content of the packages.
>>
>> What can I use to do this?
>>
>> Any help or alternatives is appreciated!
>>
>> Hal
>
>Thanks! ?The Liveheaders extension for Mozilla and Firefox does exactly what I
>need (and within a few hours after I installed it, I had finished up the
>program I had been working on for 3-4 days at that point -- it cut the trial
>and error out of the process). ?I think a few people misunderstood what I was
>asking for. ?Liveheaders let me read the actual headers for both the HTTP
>request AND response for each page, so I was able to see exactly what was
>coming and going. ?I did not need to know if a header went out, where it was
>going (since I knew), or length, or any other stat or logging info -- I had
>to be able to read the full header. ?It's no exaggeration to say that
>Liveheaders let me finish up a project that should have been simple but had
>turned into a nightmare and let me have my first night with more than 4 hours
>sleep in a good while.

One other tool that might be worth mentioning is solex, which is a
plugin for eclipse that allows for regression testing.

http://solex.sourceforge.net/

It allows for recording and playback of headers like livehttpsheaders,
but has additional functionality such as extraction and replacement
rules, and stress testing.

Certainly livehttpheaders is extremely useful :-)

-Pete