Re: how to enable rear out jack on SB Live Platinum sound card

Bram Mertens wrote:

Sorry about replying to my own message here but I discovered I was
wrong... I am using alsa... Only I have both OSS ans Alsa modules loaded
which is causing the error displayed above.

Further investigation revealed that I should first unload these modules
but:
imladris:/home/m8ram# rmmod emu10k1
ERROR: Module emu10k1 is in use

Neither arts nor esd are running, what else could be using this module?

This rings a bell from somewhere, I think I had similar problems with... something or other... and managed to fix it by putting the offending module in a blacklist. There's some suggestions here:

http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/alsa.html

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be necessary to edit /etc/modules/alsa by hand :-( But anyway, I think the way to go is, rather than try to track down what's using the module, make sure the module never gets inserted in the first place.