Re: Can't reboot system! /dev/initctl

steef wrote:
Andrew Ingram wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 12:15 +0100, steef wrote:
try as #  reboot -f

and than google to analyse
hope this helps

groet'n

steef

Thanks very much for the reply. I did google and saw the thing about
reboot -f but I assumed there must be something fundamentally wrong if
it doesn't just work normally, I was worried the machine might not come
back up. I couldn't see from google a fix for the problem though, other
than -f. Is there one? But thanks for taking the time to reply, it's
appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.. reboot -f is indeed a workaround. i remember somebody classified this problem as a bug, but that 's a long time ago. i am sorry: must go to work now. look at it tonight later CET.

good luck

groet'n

steef

hi andy,

did not come much further. <man init> might give some clues and a <study> of sysvinit. however: earlier i lost my self somewhat there.
maybe again talk to the sarge-developers?

on another hd in my machine <reboot -f> did not cause any trouble when i tried it out.

i apologize for the late moment of this unsatisfacory answer.
had two very busy days.

kind regards,

groet'n

steef