Can't add gnome2.6 menus and items

All my searching turns up the same instructions but it doesn't quite work. I've created a menu under Applications, but the only items that I can add to this menu are ones that I copy/paste from elsewhere, such as gnome-terminal and other apps. If I create my own launcher either from the menu pop-up or from nautilus, I get corresponding files created in ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications, but nothing I've tried will make them appear in the menu. The menu itself appears on the main menu and I can get a copy of it onto the panel.

Actually, on another similar (sid) machine I _did_ have a similar menu populated. A couple of weeks ago it suddenly got emptied, I believe during some package updates when I was getting udev and hotplug to work. I did the same updates (I don't have a list of the packages) on this current machine that never had the menu in the first place. The menu is still on the panel, and the menu items on that machine are still in its ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications directory, but the items no longer appear in the menu. It seems the two are related.

Any ideas?

...RickM...