Re: Sound not working

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:14:40 -0500, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:16:15AM -0700, Justin Guerin wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 March 2005 18:12, stan wrote:
> > > I noticed today that sound has stoped working on my laptop. It seesm that
> > > the hardware is dtected corectly:
> > >
> > > i810: Intel ICH3 found at IO 0x4400 and 0x4000, MEM 0x0000 and 0x0000,
> > > IRQ 11
> > > i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
> > > i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
> > > i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
> > > ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ADS99 (Unknown)
> > > i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's not
> > > present), total channels = 2
> > > i810_audio: setting clocking to 41618
> > >
> > > and /dev/dsp is there:
> > >
> > > stan@brown2:~$ ls -l /dev/dsp
> > > crw-rw-rw-  1 root audio 14, 3 Apr 14  2001 /dev/dsp
> > >
> > > And I'm a meber of group audio, and it does not work for root either.
> > >
> > > What can I check next?
> > >
> > It seems that everything is set up properly using OSS.  Can you tell us how
> > you are trying to play sound?  What program are you using?  Are you running
> > an environment with a sound daemon, such as KDE or Gnome?  Have you used a
> > mixer to check the volume levels and mute settings?
> >
> > Also, it may be important to tell us, to the best of your memory, what
> > changed in-between the sound working and it not working.  Did you upgrade
> > software?  Change some hardware?  Anything you can remember might be
> > important.
> >
> Turns out it still works, if I boot into the 2.4 kerenl, but not if I boot
> into the 2.6 kernel.
>
> Given that, what should I check next?

Given that, I would guess that a necessary driver didn't get compiled
when you upgraded the kernel. To the best of my knowledge, OSS didn't
change that much from 2.4->2.6, since it's now deprecated following
the inclusion of ALSA drivers in the kernel. I'm assuming given the
message above that you picked the 2.6 OSS drivers? I would go back
through the 'make menuconfig' from kernel compilation and double check
that everything got compiled that should be. Personally, I've had
better luck with the ALSA drivers on my i810 boxen... maybe give that
a try, if you feel up to another recompile.

But... any more info you can provide re sound daemons, what software
it is you're trying to play sound from that's behaving recalcitrantly,
would be helpful.

jason
---

$ for state in * ; do smash ; done