Re: Question about /dev/

>>>>> "Roberto" == Roberto C Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

Roberto> I know that some folks have posted about udev and the anomally
Roberto> of have /.dev show up.  I have a slightly different issue.

No, it is the exact same issue.  /.dev is renamed as /dev/.static/dev as
of udev 0.054-3.

>From /usr/share/doc/udev/changelog.Debian.gz:

udev (0.054-3) unstable; urgency=high

  * Use /dev/.static/dev/ instead of /.dev/ to keep the root clean and
    to not leave around devices with possibly insecure permissions.
    This requires raising the versioned dependency on makedev to 2.3.1-77.
    (Closes: #294968)

Roberto> As would be expected by the name, the /dev/.static/dev
Roberto> directory contains the traditional static device nodes.  But I
Roberto> am not sure why I would need them if I am using udev.

You don't really need the bind mount, but don't delete that directory,
or else your system won't boot up any more.  Having the bind mount
doesn't hurt anything either.  (I think MAKEDEV also wants it around.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA