Re: move from 2.4.24 kernel to 2.6.10 gives kernel panic

Pigeon wrote:

Sorry, not udev, devfs. Which probably negates my comment... however,
devfs is deprecated for 2.6. Maybe it's worth checking what state
devfs support is now in for your kernel; I confess I don't know myself.

Ha, indeed devfs is enabled. I will try with devfs=nomount

The pivot_root error will only occur with an initrd. Did you get that
with every kernel, or only the Debian one?

Nope only with an initrd kernel. I'll see what the errors is when i don't use an initrd and without devfs

My gut feeling is still that /dev isn't working properly for some
reason, but since I know bugger all about devfs I can't really come up
with much in the way of thoughts as to why not, I'm afraid.

I think you are correct.

Benedict