Re: move from 2.4.24 kernel to 2.6.10 gives kernel panic

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:08:35PM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:11:05AM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i'm unable to move my system from a 2.4.24 kernel to a 2.6 kernel.
> > > I first had my root on LVM and thought it was because of that, that it
> > > didn't work.
> > > However, i've switched my root to a normal ext3 partition. To my
> > > surprise it still doesn't work.
> > > I then tried a standard Debian kernel which also doesn't work:
> > > pivot_root: No such file or directory
> > > /sbin/init: 431: Cannot open /dev/console: No such file
> > > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init
> >
> > I would guess perhaps that the initrd is not starting udev? (Don't use
> > udev myself but it looks like you do, and if it wasn't working I'd
> > expect to see this kind of thing.)
> >
> > I'd suggest that the technique of pressing return to get a shell when
> > the initrd fires up and then executing the commands in linuxrc etc. by
> > hand to see where it starts to go wrong might be useful here.
>
> Pigeon,
>
> nope, not using udev, dpkg -l | grep udev turns up nothing.

Sorry, not udev, devfs. Which probably negates my comment... however,
devfs is deprecated for 2.6. Maybe it's worth checking what state
devfs support is now in for your kernel; I confess I don't know myself.

> I understand what you are saying in regards to the initrd but i don't
> see why i would need an initrd in the first place as i have ext3, dm_mod
> and everything else that i think in need compiled in.
> I then tried with an initrd to see if that could be a solution.

The pivot_root error will only occur with an initrd. Did you get that
with every kernel, or only the Debian one?

> I really don't have a clue anymore and after more than > 50 reboots and
> countless kernel compiles, i'm fed up with it. That's why i'm
> considering a new install.

My gut feeling is still that /dev isn't working properly for some
reason, but since I know bugger all about devfs I can't really come up
with much in the way of thoughts as to why not, I'm afraid.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons